The length of the website design process varies depending on the amount of pages and the desired functionality. At Bop Design, we work with small businesses, which typically have relatively small websites. Most of these website redesigns are completed within 8-16 weeks.
Here are the steps involved:
- Discovery/Planning Phase: This is where we uncover the marketing objectives of your website. We will work with you to answer the following types of questions: Who is your target market? What actions should they take when they visit your website? What type of content will be included on your website? What’s the desired “look and feel”?
- Creating the Site Map: The sitemap is one of the most important parts of the website creation process. A sitemap will outline all the pages on your website and how they are organized. It’s the basis for design, development and content strategy.
- Initial Design Concepts: Based on the discovery and planning discussions, 3 unique home page concepts are created. These design concepts feature different options for layout, design, navigation and functionality. These designs are driven by the marketing objectives and content strategy determined in the earlier phases.
- Client Feedback & Revisions: It’s important to get client feedback at multiple stages in the website creation process to make sure we are on the right track. After you’ve reviewed the initial home page concepts and sitemap, you’ll provide feedback about what you like and don’t like. We’ll revise everything accordingly, until the home page design and sitemap are finalized.
- Subpage Design: Once the home page is finalized, it’s time to start designing the remaining pages on your sitemap. During this phase, you will see a static image of what every page of your website will look like.
- Development: Once the entire website design is approved it’s time to move into development. This is where we “build” your website and all the coding is done. During this process we test for usability and ensure the website is compatible with all the major web browsers.
- Content: While our developers are building your website, our copywriter will have an interview call with you. This is where we will gather all the necessary information to ensure that your company’s personality comes through in the website content. Development of taglines, core brand messaging and unique value proposition are all created at this stage.
- Final Revisions: After the website has been developed and the finalized copy has been added, you’ll be able to view a test website. You can request any last minute edits at this stage.
- Going Live: Once you give approval, your new website will be made live. This process typically takes 2 to 3 business days to complete. Once the website is live, we’ll provide you with a customized website manual containing instructions for routine tasks such as editing content and creating new pages. The manual will include screen shots of your website, making it easy to implement revisions.
While all of this may seem complicated, at Bop Design you’ll have a project coordinator to guide you through the whole process. Contact Bop Design today for information on small business web design.